Outside the walls of the orphanage (B.Enikő)

Sylviasambaja Living in this orphanage home a person can hardly realize the poverty thanks to the support of Hungarians. The living conditions in the orphanage are much better than in those neighboring families around. While Mwakio father visiting I understood how cruel the life is outside the orphanage. Sister Willy at every occasion gave him a sack of rice or potato from the stock of the orphanage as he needed it even more as the orphanage itself. He needed it for his basic survival and to feed six more hungry kids at home.Mwakio's siblings because of lack of money have no possibility to educate themselves, therefore it is highly questionable what the future holds for them. As soon as Mwakio returns home he will be faced with cruel reality and poverty and for that reason he will be kept in my heart always as sister Willy's "little orphan" who will need even more support and care outside the walls of the orphanage home.

Mama Esther (Kati)

On 28th of July a prominent visitor arrived in Bura, namely the Minister of Social Affairs and Equal Opportunity. The children were singing and dancing while the sisters made speeches for her warm welcome. Before that day they had been cleaning and decorating the home for days. From the “dark hole” of the stock they took their most festive clothes and in that way were waiting for Mama Esther. But it seemed that it all was done in vain. Nine o’clock passed already long ago and it was almost noon. Children got more and more exhausted and the nappies had to be changed on the babies not once. But finally 4 pm. The Minister and her accompaniment arrived, however they could see only half of the program prepared by children as they had a very busy schedule. She inaugurated the nursery school, planted a tree walked around the orphanage and left. There was no financial benefit from visiting Mama Esther the orphanage, but as I later found out she had a right to had any social institution closed in case of dissatisfactory conditions – and she had used her right previously. Mama Esther was absolutely impressed by everything she had seen in Bura.

Michael (Kati)

Micheal is six years old, Priscilla’s brother. When it become known that he is HIV- positive he had to move to first to an orphanage kept for children suffering from AIDS and later to a foster-mother. We went to visit her with sister Annastacia, Priscilla and eight other children. After two hours walking through desert we finally arrived on the Help Self station number 16. where Michael was living with his five another siblings who shared his fate. They were overjoyed to see us, so we were served ugali and a very precious glass of water and afterwards our children started to play with them. Priscilla and her brother, who have nobody else on this earth except each other, could spend again few hours in each other’s company. Even if I can assure everybody that Michael is fine and he gets the necessary treatment still returning home I cold not stop thinking about the fact what a little Paradise is in our orphanage.

Those who were out there

27th of March 2009. from radio Danubius László Jaksó made an interview with Emese Borbely,Agnes Csordas and Ferenc B.víz in his program Jakshow Hot 20 c. He was talking with our volunteers about their experiences in Kenya and about Taita Foundation.

Orsi is longing back

Our volunteer Orsi Rado talks in a program „Élet-jelek” (Signs of life) about her experiences in Bura where she stayed from October 2008. until January 2009.

My daughter was a volunteer in Africa

If you are a mother you do not really have a chance to stay alone with your deep thoughts. A mother always thinks twice: once for herself and secondly for her child. That is also true when the child is already an adult. What a contradiction! To be an adult, but for the mother to stay a child even at the age of 28.

My daughter Orsi was exactly 28 years old when she left to fulfil her old dreams to spend few months working in an orphanage in Africa. While she was planning I still hoped it was only a flame but how time passed by I realised it would be pointless to try to reason her out of her plans. When I saw how seriously she was preparing (visa/ vaccination/contact with Taita foundation) my worry turned into a pride. I knew she could do it. As a teacher she has already proven that she has huge affinity for children. By the way she possesses all the positive characteristics what people have born under the zodiac sign Libra: kind, has asmilng face, open-minded, friendly, attantive, flexible and raises sympathy. Social life and human contacts are relevant for her.She smiles a lot, she is friendly and she makes new contacts easily. She enjoys being among people and likes to be in the centre of attention. She is warm.- hearted and a team-player. As the time approached for her departure it was more and more difficult to take into an account that I would not be able to see her for months and that would be the first Christmas without her. She tried to consulate me that she would not go alone and Emese the leader of the Foundation also gave me support. I found personally the most worrying that she would become ill or she would not be able to cope with the local circumstances. Luckily we were in contact via telephone time to time so I was aware of her well-being. From the stories, photographs, films it become evident that there were many children in Africa with a very little childhood. The film made in orphanage always makes our tears brimming. That’s why is important every drop of help. Now I am fully aware how important that mission was for her and I am very proud of her. (Rado Zoltanne October 2009.)

Polepole (Kati)

What it means: Only slowly. Those who are in a hurry in Africa they do not get far. However, the moment people start to feel the unique, African tempo of time they start to enjoy the change of weekdays and celebrations. Nobody is going to miss on anything; moreover, meanwhile some treasure could be discovered.

Life and death (Kati)

For how many years do people live in Kenya?- I asked an older child while I was on a funeral in the village. It was obvious they did not understand my question. You can die anytime when God decides- they explained to me. Death is accepted just as naturally as a beginning of life. The average lifespan in Kenya is 48 years while in Hungary 72.

The almost farewell (Kincso)

Búcsúelőadás I cannot deny that my urban body was worn out by the Kenyan stay. I had two days at rock bottom during my two-week stay when the incoming (and later, the not even incoming!) nutrients spent a relatively small amount of time in my body. And it was made worse by the fact that there was no water in the orphanage. Washed out and weakened I had time to think about what in fact I was doing here. The result of the deep thoughts was to work out that I would rather spend my last three days in Kenya wandering around in Malindi. We went to the house of the attendants with the children and asked the nurses how and when I could reach the place. The children could overhear something because by the time we got back to the orphanage I could not help but notice that more and more children came to me and asked me sadly whether I was really about to leave. I said that it really was my plan in fact. The reply was that they would sing for me that night. We had dinner and then the show started around 8. They sang altogether, separately the smaller and the elder ones, in groups or alone dancing or just standing in front of us. There were some with artistic performances. The accompanying music was performed by Hillary, the eldest boy with a stick and plastic kettle. Nobody had any obligations. And hence the show had been still going on at 10 and everybody was having fun. Then I understood how much my stay meant to these children. They had been giving to me so much in their own ways. The realization was shocking. It might go without saying that the next day I did not travel anywhere.

The farewell (Kincso)

BúcsúThen the actual farewell came, as well. I will never forget when the little group escorted me to the matatu. The elder boys carried my luggage. This is the custom here; the guest could never carry anything. A few pictures were also taken on the courtyard of the orphanage. Then we started to leave and more and more joined us. The crowd was kept on growing. By the time we got to the matatu stop all the children older than 2 were with us. I will never forget that either how determinedly Magdadela was clinging on me during all the way. Strange, but even then I had not had any sad feelings. I think it is just because I already realized that this would not be my final time in this place, and I would return as soon as I could, because I have 30 little Kenyan friends who count on me. They count on me even when I am not with them. Thus, in my spare time I will do everything in order to help to create better conditions to my little friends.

We will bring them up (Emese)

It happened many times that the heads of little children popped up at the gate of the orphanage. They peeped in shyly and if Sr. Willy was there, smilingly shouted to them: “Njogeni” (Come on in) and went to the kitchen to search for some food for them. However, most of the time a handicapped auntie from nearby came over for dinner. She could not speak, only made un-articulated sounds, her movement was uncoordinated. Nevertheless, the children got used to her presence and helped her in everything. She knew when dinner time was and appeared on time. It was interesting to see that while Kenya lacks national institutes for mentally disabled people. the village helped the people in need and took care of them.

Food (Emese)

Ennivaló These children ate everything. If they got to see something and identified it as an edible thing, it got to their mouths immediately. If we went to some excursions, they always some sorts of trees or bushes, which fruit they could eat on the way. At the beginning I was quite afraid that they might have found something poisonous, but slowly I realized that they intuitively know which of the berries, vegetables and fruits are edible. Once, I remember, we took little Michael to a doctor in Voi. It is a town approx. 40 km away from the orphanage and we wanted to arrange more than one thing there. We promised to buy to each of the child slippers because mostly all of them walk on bare foot – just like many others in Kenya).Ennivaló2Having gone out from the shoe store little Mike was holding my hand. Suddenly he bent down and in one second he already had something in his mouth. He found a little piece of sugar in the dust, what he extremely enjoyed. At the end the corn (this sort of red candy is poured around a certain type of corn) was spat out far away. He had a good day on that day.

Planning (Emese)

TervezgetésWhen Kincso and I went to Kenya, Andi and Ferko had been there for two months, Mosoka for 3-4 weeks. Initially Andi and ferko had been in Bura, later in the Kikambala orphanage. This is where we visited them just the day after we arrived. Each of us had different experience, each of us lived that period on several ways and some plans were about to be conceived. We talked a lot, planned together, thought about how we could help the most effectively. Because the Kikambala orphanage was only a few meters away from the beach we went there to swim but even there we were planning.

Plasticine (Emese)

Once in 2005 I bought plasticine just to give it a try and I was taken aback how much – even the most unmanageable - children were engaged with it. They really enjoy creating and they were surrounding us happily. To the smaller ones we bought non-toxic plasticine so they could join in, as well. It was interesting to see what they formed: ball, giraffe, house, home, children, adult. Apart from these many of them made jewels, which were needed to be affixed on them: necklaces, earrings, bangles. In the African cultures jewels play an important role and they made really nice ones.

They did not forget the chocolate (Emese)

Firstly I prepared chocolate for the children based on my grandma’s recipe every two-three weeks when I was there for the first time. Since then whenever they have seen me they have kept asking when I would cook for them again. So it happened again even though Andi and Ferko also made chocolate for them. Magdadela kept asking me every morning when the big day would come. Because there is very few shops in Bura we needed to wait until we went to Voi to do the shopping. When we finally found out which day we could get the ingredients, we counted the days on our fingers: tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and so on and so on and so on. Five more to go! They hardly managed to wait until it and they were eagerly helped out to prepare the hot sweets.

More stories:

My first day in the orphanage of Bura
The new inhabitant
Geography lesson with monkeys

My first day in the orphanage of Bura (Emese)

After breakfast they told me that we should go to the orphanage (The sisters live in the so-called „mother-house” is about 300 m distance from the orphanage). I asked for another half on hour to finish unpacking. Somehow I just needed some more time. Then, around 8-8.30 we went to the orphanage.
A small girl was crawling in front of it, at the moment she realised me she ran to me, so I raised her. Got it, won’t be any problem here… We walked about 100 m downhill next to the house. There were some animals and Sr. Willy, the head of the orphanage. She is nice, but seemed busy at the moment. We were going together to the house, when I captured the kitchen-door. There was a beautiful little boy staring at me with wonderful huge eyes, but as we were getting closer he ran away. He was limping. Sr. Willy went to him immediately to see what happened to him. On his small feet there was a big purulent blister. He was laid down to the bed, next to him was the 8-month-old Joseph wearing on his small botty some pinned towel or diaper, I was not able to decide. Sr. Willy took the nail from the towel, picked into the wound and then just put it back to the diaper. Now it is all ok. The boy was crying, I wanted to help him, but he ran away, he was not social at the moment. Next day, the wound looked awful, but in 2 days time it was almost healed.

The new inhabitant (Emese)

One day, a priest from Bura came with a 2-week-old baby. So tiny! He found her on his door-step. Now, she was here, but couple from Voi (which is the closest town, only 35 km away from our village) wanted to adopt her. One sister inquired them to make sure that their circumstances are good enough for the adoption. The baby’s got the name ‘Hope’.
When someone finds a child, it is to be announced to the local child-protection institution (the closest one is in Voi). The institution makes decision regarding the emplacement. The baby spends one night with them, next day a quite a rattletrap ambulance car (which is also used for working on the fields and transporting corn, and if they are called, they can even take the patient into the hospital between corns) takes the baby to the hospital of Voi to check her status. The first step is an AIDS- test, fortunately the baby was negative. Finally, the decision was made: she stayed with us in the orphanage. Sr. Willy does not wish to have AIDS infected children there, she says, they need absolutely different attendance, varied menu, more help. If somehow it turns out, that a child is infected, she tries to find her/him a place in an orphanage, which is specified for infected children. These places usually get much more help from the „developed world”.
Hope was not adopted we don’t know why. On my second visit in August 2006, she welcomed us as an adorable, active, spirited, maybe a bit shrill little girl. There was another baby we looked after at the same time as for Hope in the beginning of 2005. He was only a few days older then her Unfortunately he died in July 2006.
Geography lesson with monkeys (Emese)

I learnt a lot in Kenya even regarding Geography, eg there is no rain forest here, but there is desert in only 60 km distance from the beach, at the equator.
And I learnt that you need to chase the monkeys otherwise they dig out the thrown corns. Children are professional in it. They throw stones to the monkeys until they jump on a tree under which the ground is firm. Then the kids clamber there and make strange sounds to bring the monkeys down and then a dog catches them for a dictate. Generally I did not wait this moment as this last scene does not succeed usually as the monkeys bite extremely fast and big.
Besides I have seen neon-blue birds, hummingbird and plenty kind of small butterflies flying all around everywhere. And millions of saurions run all over – there are plenty of them and the insects even in my room. There is nothing like a window in my room, therefore I knot my mosquito screen during the day which was surprising to the others but this way my beg was protected at least.

A bit of taste from Kenya. I thought it would be hard to get used to the local food and eating habits, but it went much easier than I thought.

The next recipes are mostly for Europeans, for instance I never ate or even saw there coconut rice, because rice is not produced in the district of Taita thus being expensive there.

This was our everyday food. After we got there they cooked me this until my stomach got used to the African food’s ingredients. At the beginning I was surprised that “wow, some of the nuns and children really like that mass, they always ask for it!” until I realized that this is the food everyday. Steamed green leaf, which I don’t really know, what was exactly. All I know that the iron level of my blood was 30 % higher than the recommended maximum. The other name of the ugali is plain and inedible food.

2 mugs of corn bran
4 mugs of water
Salt and pepper

Boil the water in a big casserole dish. Carefully stir the corn bran into the hot water. Cook it for 20 minutes or until the mass become dense and smooth. Stir it continually in order not to burn it. Put the lid of the casserole and cook it for 10 minutes on a low level. It will provide 6 portions.

Food of the holidays. It is like pancake only it is thinner and it is eaten plain or with beans and corn. The children can hardly get it because it is made of flour and it is very scarce there. However, while I was there an aid package arrived from the United States, which contained 20 kg flour and lots and lots of chapatti could have been made out of it.
Recipe 1
Recipe 2

For 10-12 portion

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 spoon of vegetable oil
Approx. 3 cup of hot water (to get good dough to mold)

Knead the dough well, cover it and put it aside for at least half an hour, but even better to let it raise for 2 hours. After one hour or directly prior to the roll out, beat the dough and knead it again without water. Make 10-12 pieces of 3 cm balls, turn them into whole-wheat flour and roll them out into circles of 12 cm. Put a flat pan to the stove with medium power. When it is sufficiently warm put a rolled chapati upside down (meaning that side should be on the top which was on the bottom during the rolling). When bubbles appear, turn it and fry until small brown patches appear on the bottom of the dough.

If you have a gas-cooker, hold the chapati with a plucker and put it directly to the flame for few seconds until the chapati is swollen. Turn it again and do the same with the other side as well.

If you have an electric stove, leave the chapati in the pan. Dab the chapati with paper towel covered hands. Turn it suddenly and dab also the other side. Due to this the chapati will be swollen. (If it is dabbed too hard, the chapati will be too crunchy.))

2 mugs of flour
1 mug of water
1 teaspoon of salt
Melted butter

Stir the ingredients and split the dough into 4 parts. Roll it out into a circle shape and grease it with melted butter. Roll it up and roll it out again. Fry it in a hot pan until both of the sides are brown. In Teflon pans they don’t become brown enough.

It’s a sort of cookie that the children of the orphanage almost never got. This is a sort of food which takes getting used to, but after few weeks it could be a real delicacy. If I bought the ingredients (especially we were lacking sugar) the children were more than happy to help in the baking.

1 mug of flour
1 spoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 mug of milk (maybe more is needed)
Oil for the baking

Mix the dry ingredients well then add the egg and the milk. Roll it out for 2 cm thick dough. Tear the dough so the torn dough has a hole in the middle (you can use a glass for the tearing). Bake it in hot pan. It will make 12 pieces.

In case that you wish to know more about Africa, primarily Kenya and fair trade you may find a list of African civil organisations and their contacts.

African civil organisations and their contacts
www.afrikaplatform.hu - NEW

Africa, Kenya
www.afrika.lap.hu www.afrikatanulmanyok.hu

Fair Trade
www.befair.hu - NEW
www.fairtradecenter.hu - NEW
www.fairvilag.hu - NEW


Fair trade

Globalization started in the 19th century and reached a point in the 1970s when it appeared to be clear that the developed countries provide market for the third world’s exploited producers. People who prepare our food such as rice, coffee, tea and sugar live below the level of existence minimum, while the multinational companies generate enormous profits.

The donations provided by the rich countries does not provide sufficient capital to improve the economy, therefore the developing countries sell their products at low prices whereas they purchase them back in a more expensive level.

What might represent a solution for this problem? Further

Több nyugati szervezet próbált úgy javítani a termelők körülményein, hogy közvetlenül tőlük szerezte be az élelmiszereket. Ez, a huszadik század elején induló kezdeményezés nőtte ki magát mára a Fair trade néven ismert mozgalommá. A magyarul méltányos kereskedelemnek nevezett fogalom lényege: partneri viszony kiépítése a hátrányos helyzetű termelőkkel.

Profitorientáltság helyett a Fair trade szövetkezetek arra fektetik a hangsúlyt, hogy emberhez méltó körülményeket biztosítsanak azoknak, akik lehetővé teszik számunkra, hogy kedvenc ételeinket nap mint nap fogyaszthassuk. Ezt egyrészt az emberi jogok védelmével segítik elő, másrészt a vásárlók tájékoztatásával, hogy mi is segíthessünk.

A vevők oldaláról közelítve a kérdést eljutunk a tudatos vásárlás fogalmáig. Hétköznapi emberként is választhatunk a termelőket éhbérért dolgoztató cégek és a Fair trade szövetkezetek által forgalmazott áruk között. Fontos tudnunk, hogy a Fair trade áruk vásárlása nem jelent silányabb minőséget, hiszen ezen termékeket is ellenőrzésnek vetik alá.

Magyarországon ma még nem elterjedt a fair trade áruk „dömpingje”, ám egyre többen szereznek tudomást a méltányos kereskedelem létezéséről. Mi még leginkább azzal segíthetjük a mozgalmat, hogy közvetlenül a magyar termelőktől vásárolunk.

Ha a téma felkeltette az érdeklődését, ezeken az oldalakon még több információt találhat erről a mozgalomról:


Köszönet a Védegyletnek (www.vedegylet.hu) és a Planet Alapítványnak (www.planetclub.hu) a forrásanyagért.

Ez a két szervezet szintén azért küzd, hogy a méltányos kereskedelem hazánkban is teret hódíthasson.